Parish History

Our parish was founded on 1st June 1916 by a division of Corpus Christie Parish.  It includes most of the northern half of Chadderton and part of the adjacent Westwood area of Oldham.

The first Mass was celebrated on 1st July 1916 in the North Chadderton Conservative Club, Victoria Street with the first presbytery being at 439 Middleton Road, a house which still stands opposite to the Town Hall.

In October 1917 a temporary 'tin church' was erected on Park Street, then an insignificant side street off Middleton Road, which was incorporated in 1925 into the newly constructed Broadway.  That building was to serve as the parish church for the next forty years.

The present presbytery was opened in 1921 and is now the oldest part of the parish property.

The foundation stone of the present church was laid by the Bishop of Salford, George Andrew Beck, on 7th July 1956 and the first Mass was celebrated on Palm Sunday 1957.  The solemn blessing and opening of the church by the Bishop took place on 26th May the same year.

St. Herbert's church was solemnly consecrated on 22nd May 1961 and since that date the establishment and re-ordering of the church has taken place on several occasions resulting in the creation of the beautiful building in which we now worship.

In September 1964 our primary school was opened to serve a rapidly growing population.  In early 1981 the former church, which had also served as the parish hall for 24 years, finally passed into history when it was demolished.  It was replaced by the present Parish Centre which was officially opened by the Auxillary Bishop of Salford, Geoffrey Burke, on 18th december 1981.

We hope that you find our parish a friendly and caring one and that you will feel inspired to share in furthering it's spiritual vision.

Since it's foundation St. Herbert's has been served by the following Priests:-

Parish Priests                                                                                               Curates

1916 - Fr James Lawless                                                                                                          1959 - Fr JosephChang

1924 - Fr George Tighe  (From 1967 Canon of Salford Cathedral)                           1959 - Fr Joseph Duggan

1975 - Fr David O'Kane                                                                                                              1968 - Fr. Gerald Haugh

1988 - Fr Humphrey McMahon                                                                                               1970 - Fr John Scanlan (until 1975)

1994 - Fr Mark Hawksworth                                                                                                      1993 - Fr David Featherstone (until 1995)

1996 - Fr Peter McKie